Friday, March 12, 2010

"You Have Just Won the Superbowl.. What Are You Going To Do Now?"

".....I'm going to DisneyWorld!" This is perhaps the most classic example of the way companies use celebrity endorsements for their brand. In this week's readings, we were asked to read a document about FTC guidelines and advertising. Celebrity endorsements caught my eye (probably because I just attended presentation managing personal brands and how Tiger Wood loss his endorsements due to his infedelities). This presentation and few paragraphs I read about the guidelines really made me think about how celebrities are really an effective way to get people to buy something. Athletes, like Anna Kournikova, have been the spokesperson for the Canon "Powershot," and has been pretty effective ( I mean hey, I bought one).

Athletes are not the only people used for endorsements, Hollywood celebrities are notorious for it too. For example, I follow celebrity socialite, Kim Kardashian on Twitter. Many, many of her tweets are promoting the popular weight loss product, QuickTrim. Last night, I saw a commercial of both her and her sister, Khloe, both asking "How Hot Can You Be?" with QuickTrim. For advertisers, I think this is particularly effective. Many people soak up so much celebrity news, gossip, and trends.. it would almost be ridiculous not to use them for their leverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment